Preventing dental disease starts at home with good oral hygiene and a balanced diet. It is continued at your family dental clinic with the efforts of your dentist and hygienist who administer regular dental exams and cleanings.
All of these efforts combined help promote, restore, and maintain your oral health. We encourage you to visit Fort Dental Health Group for regular cleanings and dental checkups to stay on top of your mouth health.
Professional hygiene appointments
We suggest having your teeth professionally cleaned at least once every 3-9 months. It’s important to remember, however, that everyone’s oral hygiene routine is different, and will be customized for you based on your dental history and the current state of your mouth. With your help, we will put together a hygiene plan that works best for you. When you visit us for a hygiene appointment, your cleaning will be performed by a Registered Dental Hygienist. Our friendly hygienists strive to make cleaning appointments as comfortable as possible for our patients, using products such as topical numbing and desensitizing gel for teeth and gums when required. We also teach practical at-home techniques to help you achieve long term gum health. Here’s what you can expect when you visit us for your teeth cleaning appointment:
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on teeth causing decay that can lead to cavities. Plaque is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva in your mouth! This bacteria produces toxins that can inflame the gums, causing pain and discomfort, and can lead to the start of periodontal disease (gum disease). It’s very important to control the level of plaque in your mouth in order to avoid these problems.
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on teeth for some time, that firms and attaches itself to the tooth surface. Because this pesky substance forms above and below the gum line, it can only be removed with special dental instruments; thus, the importance of coming in to see us and having it professionally removed on a regular basis.
- Teeth polishing: Upon the completion of your cleaning appointment, we will polish your teeth to buff out stains, leaving the surfaces of your teeth feeling smooth, with a nice shine.
Your teeth cleaning appointment will last anywhere from 45-75 minutes, and you will leave with a new, soft-bristled toothbrush, and a nice clean mouth!
Regular dental exams
In addition to cleanings, regular dental exams are vital to staying on top of your mouth health and proactively spotting dental issues. As a rule of thumb, we suggest visiting us every 6-12 months for a dental checkup, however just like your professional teeth cleaning regime, your exam schedule will be customized to meet your unique dental needs. This is what you can expect at your dental exam at the clinic:
- Digital X-Rays: These are essential for the detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: We will check your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: We will check your gums and the bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: We will check all of your current fillings, crowns, etc. to ensure they’re all in tip-top shape, and not in need of repair.
Dr. Patricia Kenny
Dr. Levi Ross
Dr. Jenn Kim
Dr. Lindsay Patterson
201 - 10010 88 Ave.
Fort Saskatchewan, AB